IMC Drupal Development
What is Drupal?
Drupal is an open source content management system: www.drupal.org
. Several local IMCs are now using Drupal, and we are working on a drupal installation profile for indymedia (in other words, a customized drupal installation that will work out of the box for setting up local IMCs.)
To get involved with imc-drupal-dev:
- IRC: #drupal-dev server: irc.indymedia.org, #drupal-support server: irc.freenode.net
Which IMCs (and associates) use Drupal?
Here is the big list of which IMCs are using Drupal: ImcDrupalDevUsingList
How do IMCs use Drupal?
New Drupal IMC install and set up
A Drupal Install Profile
sets up initial values in your database that enable modules, set defaults, basic roles and permissions, and other tedious stuff that most IMCs will need. It should allow you to set up a basic IMC in a few hours. To use the 'new-imc' profile below you need to
- Download Drupal 6.x and create your database
- Download the 6.x versions of the modules and theme listed on ImcDrupalDevModules into sites/all/modules/ and sites/all/themes/ (mkdir first!)
- Download the profile below (soon!) into profiles/
- Visit your site and finish installing Drupal - you should have a Drupal IMC in no time...
Drupal Modules (and Themes, Settings etc) for IMCs
- Here is a list of modules, themes etc for Drupal IMCs, and details of which ones you will need to use the install profile: ImcDrupalDevModules
Drupal installation profiles for IMCs
Important: Security and privacy
Using Drupal during a major protest convergence
- http://imc-canarias.poliforma.org migrated from Dada
- Some fixes and customization to dadamigrate. This module is undocummented and I dove into the code to fix some bugs. Fixes / changes I remember:
- to use comment module instead of nodecomment (almost all the work was done in the module but it is a 'hidden' feature).
- to correct parent comments to nodes.
- to correct features linking to proper articles.
- to use a cck field for "related urls" (a dadaIMC feature) instead of inserting that info in the article body (as the migrator does).
- pending: code to support hidden module(based on nodes and comments) instead of imc_editor (based on nodes --and commentnodes).
- sf-active migration
- radio.indymedia.org migrated fully from sf-active
- IMC Belgium converted the sf-active site to a static html site which is being used as an archive. At some point, we'll put this content into a Drupal install for easier management, search, etc.
More IMC development work
Email discussions and issues
's initial questions and issues: http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/imc-drupal-dev/2004-November/1125-xs.html http://lists.cat.org.au/pipermail/imc-sydney/2004-December/002327.html
Problem of hidden posts being viewable: http://lists.cat.org.au/pipermail/imc-sydney/2004-November/002211.html http://lists.cat.org.au/pipermail/imc-sydney/2004-November/002212.html
Drupal features: http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/imc-drupal-dev/2004-December/1202-ns.html
Advice from Perth on instability: http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/imc-drupal-dev/2004-December/1203-2y.html
Performance and troubleshooting
- Analyze and optimize your MySQL performance
Information in languages other than English
- 03 Dec 2004 - started
- 04 Dec 2004 added email links
- 26 Apr 2005 added mysql db dump
- 18 Sep 2005 added columbus to imc list
- 25 Oct 2005 added newswire.module
- 09 Nov 2005 added indymedia.be to imc list
- 22 Dec 2005 added climate imc and added link to melbimc dev site
- 12 Feb 2006 versions/sydney imc
- 24 Feb 2006 added robots.module
- 03 May 2006 new version and malta is in the network
- 08 May 2006 added aotearoa
- 20 May 2006 added cities module and york; 22 May 2006 added link about hiddens and patches for images.module and audio.module
- 15 Dec 2006 - added city santa barbara
- 28 Jan 2007 - added austria
- 13 June 2007 - added Worcester
- 21 Jul 2007 - added Bolivia
- 30 Jan 2008 - added some more sites, added links to modules on drupal.org, removed links to old patches etc.
- 02 Dec 2007 - added Canarias
- 31 Jan 2008 - added section for links re: performance and troubleshooting
- 27 Apr 2008 - added Indymedia Scotland to list
- 8 May 2008 - added survey link, put imc-melb has disbanded, added Film Forge
- 04 Jul 2008 - re-worked page, adding survey results
- 18 Dec 2009 added http://github.com/HongPong/indymedia-tc-drupal-6-build