back to TranslationTool
back to TranslationToolDoc
Independent Media Centres (IMC's) are open-publishing platforms for news, issues, actions and analysis reporting on grassroots, non-corporate, non-commercial social justice, environmental and political issues. IMC 's are maintained by a network of media activists and groups.
volunteers take care of the translation work, moderation and administration of the site. Contents on the newswire (right column) and the proposed translations (center column) are generated by anyone who wants to contribute. The open posting guidelines below have been created to ensure the integrity of the site.
Occasionally we are forced to delete or mark as "trash" (i.e. not worth translating) postings offending the open posting guidelines. Because of the 'real time' nature of the newswire, it is not possible to monitor its contents 24 hours a day.
Open Posting Guidelines:
- Repeated: double postings
- Silly stuff: posts which are clearly purely comment, opinion or rants unrelated to a recent event or action, posts that are inaccurate or misleading, etc.
- Discrimination : posts using language, imagery, or other forms of communication promoting racism, fascism, xenophobia, sexism or any other form of discrimination.
- Promotion : posts with personal or product promotions, propaganda for political or other hierarchical groups
- Hierarchy : The newswire is designed to generate a news resource, not a notice-board for political parties or any other hierarchically structured organization.
- Disruptive : Contributions by individuals who habitually publish above mentioned discouraged content.
- Posts in the center column that are not translation requests
- Translations: (center column) Everybody is free to post proposals for translations, add comments to articles. However, Translation Tool volunteers take the liberty to delete postings (or mark as trash), which are offending the open posting guidelines.
- News (right-hand column): The Newswire is thought for technical, organizational, etc. information on translation work, especially in the indymedia context. Everybody is free to post on the newswire or add comments to newswire articles. However, TranslationTool volunteers take the liberty to delete postings, which are offending the open posting guidelines.
- Comments: Everybody can add their own comments at the end of each article. These comments should be related to the translation process and the article posted. Comments are subject to the guidelines for deleting. They can be used to:
- post translations in the requested language or any other language
- ask questions to the requester or to other translators about the translation
- discuss about translation issues related to the text
- add information.
- correct inaccurate or malicious information, rectify misinformation.
The Translation Tool is an interactive site offering inclusive participation. All postings are the responsibility of the individual authors and not of the Translation Tool members. Although Translation Tool volunteers attempt to ensure accuracy of the newswire, they take no responsibility legal or otherwise for the contents of the open publishing site. Mention of external web sites or services is for information purposes only and constitutes neither an endorsement nor a recommendation.