[THIS IS THE CURRENT DRAFT OF THE IMC MEMBERSHIP CRITERIA. WE WILL SEND FUTURE DRAFTS AS THEY ARE AVAILABLE.]
IMC MEMBERSHIP CRITERIA - DRAFT
Each IMC and Global Working Group is expected to:
a. Agree in spirit to the NIMC MissionStatement
b. Have a committed membership substantial enough to sustain a functional IMC,
c. Have open and public meetings (no one group can have exclusionary "ownership" of an IMC),
d. Work toward developing a local Mission Statement or Statement of Purpose. Network Mission Statement may be adopted or used on an interim basis,
e. Establish and publish an editorial policy which is developed and functions through democratic process, and with full transparency,
f. Agree to the use of Open Publishing as described in the NIMC Editorial Policy [editorial collective comments: "We did agree that the term "Open Publishing" was one that is still being defined by the Global Network Collective, and we would wait and see what the results were before rewriting this criteria],
g. Adopt a decision-making policy that is in alignment with consensus principles which include open, transparent and egalitarian processes,
h. Have a spokesperson(s) willing and capable of participating in the global decision-making process and meetings as a rotating liaison/representative, with a clear understanding of the responsibilities that come with this role,
i. Participate in the key IMC Network Communication Methods that pertain to the health and vitality of the Network and that contribute to the work of the IMC. Assure that at least one person from your local IMC participates at any given time on the IMC-Communication
j. (NOT FINALIZED): Have no official affiliation with any political party, state or candidate for office (comments: but individual producers have freedom to do whatever they like and local IMCs can "feature" stories about various political parties and initiatives),
k. IMCs shall in no way engage in commercial for-profit enterprises. [We could add: The IMCN is committed to the decommercialization of information and will disassociate from any local IMC that decides to become a for profit
l. Display a \xB3local version\xB2 of the IMC \xB3i\xB2 logo on your website and literature.
m. Include the IMC Network current \xB3Cities List\xB2 on your site, preferably on the front page.
1. Network Membership is open to any group that accepts the above criteria for membership. In the case of several requests from the same city or region, we will encourage them to meet and work together.
2. Network Membership in the NIMC will be confirmed by the New IMC Working Group, which is accountable to IMC-Process and ultimately to the NIMC decision-making process.
DEFINING OUR TERMS:
For clarity and precision, we need to define our terms more carefully so there is less room for misunderstanding. Also explains how we as a culture (the IMC culture) use these terms.
* NIMC = Network of Independent Media Centers
* Open = means that diverse people and groups are welcome to attend and that no attempt is made to exclude people based on their sex, race, gender, class, age, ability or religion.
* Official affiliation = still being worked on
* IMC Network Communication Methods = international email lists, IRC discussions and logs, phone calls and conference calls, and face-to-face meetings.
* Local version = acknowledges the many variations of the name and the logo that will occur depending on the language and culture of the local IMC.
- 14 Jun 2002
imc-communication, not imc-communications -- BouD
- 15 Nov 2005