Berlusconi's Mousetrap, Genoa July 2001.
2 hours 41 minutes. Indymedia Ireland, 2002
The Protests against the G8 in July 2001 in Genoa Italy were the biggest and most significant protests in Western Europe since the Poll Tax riots in the UK. Italian Prime Minister Sylvio Berlusconi, wanting to impress his new best mate George W. Bush, orchestrated a brutal Media/Police preemptive strike on the Anti-Capitalist Movements' biggest First World mobilisation to date.
When the weekend of protests ended Carlo Guiliani was dead and a school full of sleeping activists had been attacked in what is popularly referred to as the 'Chilean Night'. This film traces the events of the three days of protests in detail and poses the question - Was it all a setup? If Seattle was 'Star Wars' then this is 'The Empire Strikes Back'.
This feature length film is made from a combination of footage of the Genoa protests against the G8 shot by 10 members of IMC Ireland, material from the Italy IMC Archives and material from various other sources. This compelling footage combined with on the spot interviews and reenacted voiceover commentary and analysis from various websites which were active during the protests provides a in-depth blow by blow retelling of the story of the three days of the Genoa protests against the G8.
Producer: Irish Independent Media Centre
Photography: IMC Ireland and IMC Genoa
Editors: Eamonn Crudden, Joe Carolan, Leah Doherty
Director: Eamonn Crudden
Available from IFC bookshop or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of Film from Workers Solidarity (Irish anarchist news-sheet) and responses to the review from the film-maker on the Irish newswire.
A VHS copy of the film is available from Culture shop in the UK.
An interesting and informative interview with the film maker is also available from Three Monkeys, an Irish online publication.
Shown at the next 5 minutes
2. MAYDAY 04 - new AUDIO MIX - Noize Hacker ReMix - Civil Resistance and party against the Bosses of Europe Dublin Style. 25min.
EU/US Summit - BUSH Visits Ireland 20,000 in Dublin and thousands in Shannon/Dromoland
Extra Info on Videos
Indymedia Video Screening - Bush's Hundred Thousand Unwelcomes
These indymedia documentary's record 2 major events in Irelands EU Presidency
- Mayday 04 - 10 new member States join the EU - a weekend of Resistance against Racism.
- EU/US Summit - BUSH Visits Ireland 20,000 in Dublin and thousands in Shannon/Dromoland
The 2 Bush Edits were sent to Indymedia New York for screenings during the forthcoming RNC Republican convention in N.Y. City on Monday.
PROGRAM OF EVENTS (subject to change)
A short talk /Q+A on what is Video Activism - Indymedia - Tactical television for social change or just more propaganda? Let us know what you think.
- VIDEO SCREENINGS - 7:30 PM - FRI 3rd SEPT 04 - IFI - TEMPLE BAR -
- Bush Weekend - Lights! Camera! Direct Action! Weekend of Resistance. Indymedia Video Crew - 25min
- MAYDAY 04 - new AUDIO MIX - Noize Hacker ReMix - Civil Resistance and party against the Bosses of Europe Dublin Style. 25min.
- RASTA 4iS - IRISH PREMIER - Reclaiming Dignity - Artistic look at the events Surrounding the BUSH VISIT from the critical mass across Ireland to the effective direct action in Shannon - 42min
- E. Lees indymedia debut - Music, Marches, Songs and Poems from the 20,000+ Protest in Dublin - 18min
- 03 Dec 2004
Detailing anything that edited together as a film piece and/or has been distributed physically or shown publically as a cut off point, not sure if thats the anarcho way?