Volunteer Orientation Package
Second draft: June 17, 2003
WHAT IS IMPACT (AND WHY)?
- History, importance and role of indymedia (like the 1-page \x91bio\x92)
- Local group\x92s vision
- Priorities: grassroots media, anti-oppression, education
WHAT DO WE DO?
Our main activities are directed towards our three priority areas.
- Media: Blind Spot, IMC Ontario website, listing of other local media
- Anti-oppression: community outreach, support advocacy, group process
- Education: workshops, presence at events (dual themes of media literacy and media creation)
WHO MAKES UP IMPACT?
- Core members, occasional volunteers (any volunteer can become a core member)
- Others who help keep IMPACT going: groups and individuals who report for Blind Spot and IMC website\x85
- Resources we draw upon (WPIRG, Imprint, meeting space at 43 Queen, discounted printing from Hoppy Copy)
- We also work with a variety of organizations in the community on specific projects
HOW DOES THE GROUP WORK?
- Communication: formal meetings, social meetings, web page, email list
- For each Blind Spot issue\x85 (breakdown of tasks - note: Perhaps we can make it clearer that the time commitments listed here are total times for all volunteers, i.e. that we don't expect each volunteer to spend 30 hrs on layout for each issue of Blind Spot.)
- Skill sharing opportunities (link to resources, describe sessions)
- How decisions are made in the group (aim for consensus-based process; failing that, follow an inclusive decision-making model by soliciting feedback on plans via the web page and email list)
WHAT IS OUR TIMELINE?
- General schedule for meetings and Blind Spot production
- Regular meetings - once a month, 7-9 pm on the second Tuesday of the month
- "Social meetings" - once every two or three weeks, usually a pot luck hosted by a member of the group
- Blind Spot production - once every 1-2 months
- Options for different levels of volunteer time commitment
WHAT DREAMS AND POSSIBILITIES DO WE HOPE TO PURSUE?
- We are always brainstorming interesting new projects and undertakings. Some of our ideas right now include holding youth-oriented workshops, organizing a conference, collaborating with other local media outlets, creating an \x93activist soap opera,\x94 and more.
- Whatever YOU want to explore as a new volunteer \x96 the group is open to your ideas and suggestions.
QUESTIONS? \x96 JUST ASK!
Please do contact us with any questions or ideas you may have.
- 16 Jun 2003
- 17 Jun 2003 - fixed up contact info, mtg time