People in Manila, Davao City, ... - this page is yours to edit, update, etc. You'll find hints at TWikiShorthand (or WelcomeGuest if you have the patience to start from the beginning...)
The purpose of these pages is meta-documentation, i.e. an organising level discussion about how you are organising IMC Pilipinas in an open, non-hierarchical way. It might be useful to put your responses to the PrinciplesOfUnity and the MembershipCriteria here, and also a link to a mailing list (e.g. http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/listinfo/imc-pilipinas ) which you can create if it doesn't exist yet by filling out http://newlist.indymedia.org . Please go to http://newimc.indymedia.org or NewImc for more info on hints on getting organised - non-hierarchically.
IMC-Pilipinas is now ImcQc
. This page is maintained for documentation purposes.
1. IMC-Pilipinas aims to establish and maintain a non-profit, non-corporate, pro-people Independent Media Center for the Philippines that will uphold and advance the struggle against oppression and exploitation (especially by forces of imperialist globalization and war), a fight shared by the Filipino and the world\x92s peoples.
2. IMC-Pilipinas draws special inspiration from the long and continuing history of anti-colonial and anti-imperialist struggle of the Filipino people and from the distinct role of patriotic and democratic propagandists, writers, journalists and netizens in social change.
3. IMC-Pilipinas upholds the rights to free speech, free expression and free flow of or access to information.
4. IMC-Pilipinas shall provide an information infrastructure for people and views that are deprived of access to the airwaves, tools and resources of corporate media. This includes text, audio, video, photography, internet distribution and any other communication medium.
5. IMC-Pilipinas respects the right to privacy of persons and parties who avail of its open web-based publishing medium.
6. IMC-Pilipinas shall be committed to the use of free source code, whenever possible, in order to develop the digital infrastructure, and to increase the independence of the network by not relying on the proprietary software.
7. IMC-Pilipinas shall promote collective work the sharing of resources including knowledge, skills and equipment.
8. IMC-Pilipinas shall practice mutual respect, mutual benefit, consensus, consultation, and the independence and initiative of all persons and parties interested in joining or supporting it. No person or party or political belief shall arbitrarily impose its will on any or all the others.
9. IMC-Pilipinas shall \x96 by way of consensus and consultation \x96 choose a spokesperson who can and would represent it in global decision-making processes of Indymedia.
10. IMC-Pilipinas shall be committed to the principle of human equality, and shall not descriminate, including discrimination based upon race, region, gender, age, class or sexual orientation. As such, it shall not act in a manner that endangers, intimidates, or physically harms any member of the group, including by sexual harassment or acts of violence. It shall strive to act in a respectful manner to its members as well as the public.
- 13 Aug 2003
1. IMC-Manila collective (IMC-MC)
is based upon principles of equality, decentralization, and local autonomy. The IMC-MC is not derived from the centralized bureaucratic process, but from the self-organization of autonomous individuals and groups that recognize the importance of developing a union of networks.
2. IMC-MC considers open exchange of and open access to information, a pre-requisiteto the bldg. og a more free and just society.
3. IMC-MC respects the right of activists who choose not to be photographed or filmed.
4. IMC-MC is based upon the trustof their contributors and readers, shall utilized open web based publishing, allowing individuals, groups and organizations to express their views, anonymously if desired.
5. IMC-MC shall be not for profit.
6. IMC-MC recognize the importance of process to social change and are committed to the development of non-hierarchical and anti-authoritarian relationships to group dynamics. Therefore, shall organize themselves collectively and be committed to the principle of consensus decision-making and the dev. of the direct, participatory democratic process.
7. IMC-MC will have a spokeperson(s)which should be determined under the principle of consensus. The spokeperson(s) should be willing and capable of participating in the global decision making process and meeting as a rotating liason/representative, with clear understanding of responsibilities that come with this role.
8. IMC-MC recognize that a pre-requisite for participation in the decision making process of each members inside the collective is a contribution of an individuals labor to a group.
9. IMC-MC are committed to caring for one another as a collective and will promote the sharing of resources including knowledge, skills and equipment.
10. IMC-MC shall be committed to the use of free source code, whenever possible, in order to develop the digital infrastructure, and to increase the independence of the network by not relying on the proprietary software.
11. IMC-MC shall be committed to the principle of human equality, and shall not descriminate, including discrimination based upon race, region, gender, age, class or sexual orientation. Reccognizing the vast cultural traditions within the collective, we are committed to building diversity within our group.
this document was discussed and approved consensusly last 22 July 2003
Manila Independent Media Centre
This was adapted from Perth Indymedia's editorial policy.
Aims and Objectives
+To provide an open-publishing newswire in accordance with established Indymedia policies and philosophy.
+To maintain the newswire and website as a space that welcomes members of disempowered or marginalised groups.
+To acknowledge that words have the power to cause injury, but that instances of injurious speech or writing should also be seen as opportunities for a critical or insurrectionary response.
+To preserve the quality of the website as a useful media resource.
Manila IMC hosts an open-publishing newswire. Members of the editorial collective regularly monitor the newswire, keeping their eyes open for particularly significant, informative contributions to add to the centre-column features section.
Open publishing means that the process of creating news is transparent to readers. They can contribute a story and see it instantly appear in a pool of stories. Readers can see editorial decisions being made by others. They can see how to get involved and help make editorial decisions. If they can think of a better way for the software to help shape editorial decisions, they can copy the software because it is free and change it and start their own site.
The Manila IMC EditorialCollective
, in order to maintain the integrity of the newswire and the media commons it creates for our community of participants, may "hide" posts to the newswire when the content contravenes the guidelines that have been put in place (see below). All hidden posts (exceptions noted below) should be notified to the collective email list email@example.com
so that the Ed-collective has the chance to agree or disagree with the hiding of the post.
+Posts the author has requested be hidden.
+Posts which are obviously incorrect or misleading. This includes attempts to spread disinformation or to impersonate another individual.
+Posts that incite violence against disempowered members of the community.
+Threats to maim or kill.
+Posts which publish identifying information without the individual's knowledge or consent.
+Posts which use language, imagery, or other forms of communication to promote racism, fascism, xenophobia, homophobia, sexism etc., or any other form of discrimination.
+Abuse of others in the form of personal attacks. Indymedia is not a space for people to play out personal vendettas.
+Pornography, but not sexually explicit satire.
+Unreadable formats for eg: photos posted as text / text only posts without relevance nonsense/flooding.
+Advertising of products or for-profit services.
+Notification or cancellation of events. Please use the events calendar. These may be moved to appropriate wire.
*+Persistent nuisance posts to the newswire or comments sections.
+Posts that are deemed to be devoid of content or analysis and appear to be published with the sole purpose of disruption.*
If you don't agree with a decision...
We strive to make decisions in the most democratic, transparent and accountable manner. If you have any questions or concerns regarding our policy or our practice, or would like to work with the Manila IMC, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright of Features and Articles
All posts made to the newswire are effectively covered by the principles of "COPYLEFT".
The author retains the moral right to be recognised as the author of the article in question, but the article is free for distribution for non-profit and educative purposes. Articles may be reproduced in full for any purpose and in any media provided the reproduction is subject to the same principles as laid out here, that is, the same representations of the COPYLEFT of the article must appear alongside the article.
Under no circumstances may articles or features from the Perth IMC site be reproduced in full in a fee-paying or for-profit medium. However, for-profit media may quote from articles or features in accordance with the "fair use" copyright principles.
check out the Manila Indymedia wiki: CLICK HERE!
- Updated 27 August 2004
Added link to local collectives -- EdwinLicaros
- 23 Mar 2004
9 April 2003
testing 1.9 -- GarconDuMonde
- 22 Jul 2005
testing 1.9 again -- GarconDuMonde
- 22 Jul 2005