Some thoughts on 9/11 from Chris
One item that was on the agenda for the May 2008 UK Indymedia network meeting, UkNetworkMeeting2008London
, was 9/11 and the on-going disagreements about this issue on the imc-uk-moderation email list
The two network meetings before this did have 9/11 on the agenda but the issue was never discussed, suggestions that it should be discussed have been around for a couple of years
. The notes from the May 2008 meeting
contain the following about the 9/11 discussion:
9/11: Months after Sept 11 there were articles questioning it. Then
we started to hide everything, now we don't apply a clear blanket,
proposal to go on like what we do now.
Conspirancy: report back that there has been an improvement about
conspiracy stuff, over the last 2 years. In the views of some one
from the food not bombs people. Not that there was a blanket ban, it
was that the stuff did breach the guidelines.
Guidelines say what makes an article hideable but not what it makes
an article a report. Would be good to include for info what would be
elements for an article to be promoted, to encourage the effort.
guidelines already include them.
We don't want a blanket ban either, there may be articles worth
pointing out the many angles on the issue without going down the
route of conspiracy... There would be objections to a uk wide feature
about 9 11
As background information for any serious UK Indymedia discussion of this subject, that might
happen in the future, I have tried to gather together some of the things I have done on 9/11 and some suggested resources for people interested in the subject to find out more information -- this is what this page is for.
It has been suggested
that 9/11 is my "favourite subject"
and perhaps this page could bolster this (incorrect) idea since it only contains references to 9/11, however this subject is just one of many that I have posted about on Indymedia and my biggest contribution to Indymedia has been in the form of photos of protests and only one of these protests has been about 9/11 [ 1
]. Looking at the subjects of the comments posted and treads started
on the Truth Move forum
would give you a better idea of where my main concerns lie these days. I have a lot of agreement with the views Emanuel Sferios expressed in his September 11th 2006 article, 9/11 Five Years Later: What Have We Accomplished? An Assessment of the 9/11 Truth Movement
9/11 moderation policy
Regarding Indymedia moderation policy, in November 2007 I said
I think that we *should* be promoting reports of protests
and I think we should run feature articles on protests if
they are proposed. We should be totally intollerent of
material that has been proven by the 9/11 truth movement
to be disinformation, for example:
- Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) or nuclear devices were
used to demolish the towers. 
- "Plane pods," on the underside of the planes shot
missiles into the towers before impact. 
- No planes hit the World Trade Center Towers. 
We should be aware of the vast resources that are being
put into the creation and disemination of disinformation
but there are good efforts *within* the 9/11 truth
movement to counter this, for example these resources:
The elements in the 911 truth movement that we should be
orientated towards are those getting out on the streets,
the work that is being done by Truth Action,
http://truthaction.org/ and We Are Change UK,
http://www.wearechange.org.uk/ (the only UK based 9/11 site
I could recommend) and the political analysis of those on
the left like Truth Move, http://www.truthmove.org/ and
the work of bloggers like Diane,
(One update to the above quote is that the recent articles on Diane's blog are not very interesting, but when she started writing articles topics included, The 9/11 Truth movement needs a more visible, better organized left wing!
, 9/11 Truth movement conservatives, please stand up now
, The recent growth of anti-Illuminism: Dreadful ideology about the dreaded Illuminati
and Chip Berlet and \x93Conspiracism\x94
Writing on 9/11
Links to some of the things I have written / said on 9/11 over the last few years, this is not a complete list but I'd adding to it as I go...
Articles and Audio
- A comment on WTC7, October 2005, Actually... WTC7 is odd....
- Five comments on the structural failure of WTC7, March 2006, WTC7, popularmechanics.com, A plane hit WTC 7?, Some considerable time? and 911myths.com.
- 9/11 - Loose Change
- Four comments, posted as "run for the hills", in response to someone who said that "When you go along to a 9/11 'truth' event you find yourself in the scary world of right wing paranoid cults.", from April 2007, Very Dangerous Ideas, 9/11, cults and the far right, But the problem with Chip Berlet and co..., and Sigh... here we go, round in circles again....
- Email to imc-uk-features in response to Yossarian saying "the core of the project has shifted towards a 9/11 conspiracy-wire", April 2007, 9/11 conspiracy-wire? was: Re: "Racist site links".
- Two comments in response to the crazy agenda of a "Leeds Truth Festival", from May 2007, Fringe issues... and a comment on a review of the event, Is this representative of the 9/11 truth movement?.
- Three comments posted to an article that is now hidden, Disinformation, Indymedia and 9/11 and Spotting Disinformation.
- Email to imc-uk-features, July 2007, 9/11 and Indymedia.
- Email to imc-uk-features, Re: Unhidden: Conspiraloons, Ravers and Peace Activists which linked to 3 comments on the site that I wrote as "C" in response to comments from Guy, August 2007, The same drivel, Guido the Ostridge and Information and Disinformation.
- One comment in response to Robert Fisk's Even I question the 'truth' about 9/11 article, August 2007, Fisk, the "Patriots" and WTC7.
- One comment posted to an article titled, We Are Change UK Hit the Notting Hill Carnival, September 2007, Unwelcome Guests on Why the Towers Fell.
- Two comments in response to a rather odd "Call for a New 911 Campaign", which claims "Our inspiration is drawn from Indymedia, Schnews, Urban75 etc", from September 2007, Problems, problems... and Is a new investigation the answer?.
- Four comments in response to Peter Thatchell's article 9/11 \x96 The big cover-up?, September 2007, Good article, but..., "Comment is Free", Killtown: more disinformation and 'The North Tower's Spire Turned to Dust'.
- Three emails to imc-uk-features about 9/11 disinformation two in reply to dh about "Directed Energy Weapons", October 2007, 911 Disinformation, was: Re: Hidden, Fetzer / May disinfo Hidden and Re: Fetzer / May disinfo Hidden,.
- Eight comments directed at Paul Stott and Larry O'Hara of 9/11 Cult Watch, posted in response to Paul Stott's Webster Griffin Tarpley's London Talk Dissected article, November 2007, Truth movement activists have done a better job at "debunking" him , No Surprise Indeed , Not fatally flawed , The company you keep... , Nico Haupt at St. Marks, "we do not endorse the site owners no-plane theory rubbish" , Nico Haupt - still "essential" and 911 Cultwatch drop their link to Nico Haupt.
- Email to imc-uk-features in response to Barry Kade complaining about the promoting of a 9/11 truth protest report and saying that the truth movement claims are "a bit cultish, bizarre and embarrassing", from November 2007, Re: Should IMC be PROMOTING 9/11 'Truth' stuff? NO!
- Two comments posted to an article, 9/11 Asking Questions, November 2007, "Planehugger": Fuck Off and Big Lizard Speaks with Forked Tongue.
- Email to imc-uk-moderation in response to Guy objecting to the hiding of a comment which called me and the others on the Truth Revoution radio show on Indymedia "loathsome scumbags", from April 2008, Re: Hidden abusive comments, was: Re: Query about promotion..
- Comment on the David Rovics Q & A article, April 2008, Good Interview.
- Three comments on a Daniel Hopsicker lecture, May 2008, Worth Watching, Re: Utterly bonkers right wing bollocks and Re: A conspiracy theory by any other name will smell as bad..
- One comment on a review of Zero, May 2008, Not too bad....
- A comment in reply to "Journalist", May 2008, What is the source for "Journalist"'s 9/11 WTC hijackers passport story? and an email to imc-uk-moderation that mentions this comment.
- Two comments to a article by Kevin Barrett, June 2008, Do NOT trust Kevin Barrett and My "Disinformation"?.
- Two comments about a "New World Order protest" which is in fact a 9/11 disinformation protest, June 2008, Better to go to Menwith Hill on 4th July... and Do not support this "protest".
- Email to imc-uk-moderation, June 2008, Eric May, Jim Fetzer, Kevin Barrett and "9/11 Truth Leaders".
- Comment on WTC7 article reposted from prisonplanet.com, June 2008, Whatever you think of Alex Jones....
- Comment on Demands for an Independent International 9/11 Investigation article, June 2008, Dennis Kucinich's 35 Articles of Impeachment.
- Comment on a hidden article, I shot down 93 (repost), July 2008, Sounds like disinformation....
- Comment on a reposted and commented article from the BBC, 9/11 third tower mystery 'solved', July 2008, Of course this is not the "final mystery"....
- 6 emails to imc-uk-moderation about the hiding of an article about a press conference by David Ike, posted by dh, July 2007, Re: Hidden 402545 and 402543, Re: Proposal to block dh posts to this list, Banning 9/11 being mentioned on IMC UK, Hiding Disinfo, an ongoing spat over 'truth posts' and Discussing 9/11 and Indymedia face-to-face rather than in writing.
- 3 comments posted at an article, Is the 9/11 "Pentagon Hole" a Psyop to Distract from Real Questions?, July 2008, What happened on 9/11 is a real issue, Dennis Kucinich's 9/11 related Articles of Impeachment and a view of history than is more than 8 years old.
- 2 comments, posted to Exploring BBC Conspiracy Files: 9/11 the Third Tower, July 2008, Slow shifting of the debate... but is it getting anywhere? and "no water", uh-hu....
- Comment on Tod Fletcher's review of David Ray Griffin's The New Pearl Harbor Revisited, September 2008, Don't buy it!.
- Two comments about an event in London with David Shayler and Tony Gosling, "the World Trade Centre was destroyed by Underground Nuclear Explosions"! and Don't forget the Shayler talk... 9_9.
- Three comments, first about the Pentagon, Good article, bad comment above, then Is the 9/11 "Pentagon Hole" a Psyop to Distract from Real Questions? and finally, Guido: "IMC UK giving a platform to... holocaust deniers".
My first approach to reconsidering the corporate media's story of 9/11 was to look, in detail, at the structural failure of the buildings, this was sparked by an article by Steven Jones
which was hidden by zcat
in December 2005. Steven Jones' work was considered to be one of the top censored stories in 2007
by Project Censored
. There are a couple of his articles on the site, Revisiting 9/11/2001 --Applying the Scientific Method
and Fourteen Points of Agreement with Official Government Reports on the World Trade Center Destruction
and there is also an interview with him
conducted by Chris Burnett from Indybay
This led to the work of those who have written on the geopolitics of 9/11 and who generally don't touch
the controlled demolition theories. This also led to the work people have done on 9/11 related disinformation and then to people who are getting out into the streets to protest. Following are some good resources on these matters.
Structural failure of the buildings
Geopolitics of 9/11
- Nafeez Ahmed, who has a fair amount of material on Indymedia, including The Hidden Holocaust - Our Civilizational Crisis, Creating Terror, International Terrorism: The Secret History, Ties With Terror: Western-Al-Qaeda Relations in the Post-Cold War Period, The Strategy of Tension, Ex-UK Army Chief in Iraq Confirms Peak Oil Motive for War. His last book on 9/11 is The War on Truth: Disinformation and the Anatomy of Terrorism.
- Peter Dale Scott, there are four of his articles on UK Indymedia, 9/11, Deep State Violence, and the Hope of Internet Politics, \x93JFK, 9/11 and War\x94, The strategy of tension in Europe and America and How the FBI protected Al Qaeda\x92s 9/11 Hijacking Trainer, his latest book is The Road to 9/11 Wealth, Empire, and the Future of America
- Truth Move's Disinformation page, which links to a lot of good resources -- much of what the critics of the 9/11 truth movement attack has been far more effectively discredited by people within the broad 9/11 truth movement... (no plane at the pentagon etc etc...)
A while ago I did start to document articles on the site about 9/11 starting from September 2001 onwards, UkModeration911#History
but I only managed to do this for the first 6 months, but it does illustrate that having articles on the site that disagree with the corporate coverage of this issue is nothing new -- we have had these from the start.
I also started to document the discussions on imc-uk-features amd imc-uk-moderation, UkModeration911#List_Discussions
but this has is only been done in part...