: this setup has been abandonned, due to the lack of energy inside imc-docs to maintain it. The old awstats data is still in
Table of content :
A few notes about our awstats setup
- humus' Apache logs are send via syslog to kompost, for security/manageability reasons ;
- we DON'T want to run the awstats CGI version, too dangerous ; better generate static pages ;
- even in "static html" mode, awstats is a bit dangerous to be run on the host system (kompost), which is not supposed to run any service apart of ssh + Postfix + monitoring the vservers' security ;
- in our setup, awstats html pages generation will be a bit of a mess : it has to be tightly integrated with logrotate (running on kompost - humus should never have write access to them after they've been sent to kompost via syslog), and has to reload humus' Apache after it's been performed : have a look to humus:/root/admin/boum-docs.indy-goodies.tgz, I'm pretty sure I've put boum's awstats/logrotate config there.
- mount --bind, read-only, kompost:/var/log/vservers/humus/apache/docs.indymedia.org to humus:wherever
- kompost's logrotate, when rotating /var/log/vservers/humus/apache/docs.indymedia.org, runs awstats ON HUMUS (using 'vserver humus exec ...' command)
- humus' Apache serves the generated HTML pages as http://docs.indymedia.org/stats
mount -o bind,ro working
With the mainline kernel, directories mounted with
options are... writeable. That's why the Bind Mount Extensions(BME) kernel patches are for. A few information about this :
: the 2.0.2 VServer patch branch already includes the Bind Mount Extensions. See KompostInfo#kernel
to learn how to compile a kernel for kompost.